Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Heaven Can Wait (1943)


I first watched Heaven Can Wait a couple of years ago. I didn't know much about the film, but it was playing at a local theater near me, so I decided to go and see it. I absolutely loved it then and I still do now. It's full of wit and romance. If you haven't watched it yet, then you should try to watch it soon; it's fantastic.


Heaven Can Wait is a film about a man, Henry Van Cleve, who, upon his death, believes that he should be put into Hell. The Devil doubts that Henry's sins are that severe, but agrees to listen to his life story anyway. While telling his life story, he emphasizes on the times where he is cheating someone or being a womanizer.


The infidelity in this film is only hinted at, nothing is shown, we don't see him with any lovers, yet it seems obvious that Henry hasn't been fully faithful to his wife. I find this hard to believe because his wife, Martha, is played by Gene Tierney, so she is very pretty, quiet, and kind. Why would that prompt anyone to cheat? That must have been Henry's point though, he just didn't treat her the way he felt she should have been treated. However, he did truly love his wife.


The best character in this film is the Grandpa. He's the coolest grandpa ever! He didn't buy into the phony and uppity lifestyle that Henry's silly parents and cousin were so intent on being a part of. I love how he mocks these people, but they don't catch on to the sarcasm. The cousin does eventually, but not all the time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment