Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Day 19: 31 Days of Horror: Interview with the Vampire


I love vampires, especially Anne Rice vampires. These vampires don't sparkle in the sunlight. They don't go after awkward teenagers with monotone voices and they sure as hell don't feast only on deer and other animals in the forest!  Sure, one of the vampires may have been apprehensive of finishing off humans at first, but that attitude didn't last long. Human blood is too intoxicating to the vampires for them to resist it. Murdering is part of their nature and oh how some of them love it! They also seem to be stellar virtuosos, which is awesome!

Interview with the Vampire (1994) is based off the novel with the same title. The book was written in 1976 and it's the first of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. It's focused on the story of Louis de Pointe du Lac. He seeks out a human to tell his tragic life story, starting with how he first became a vampire and the sort of human life he was living up to that point. His story isn't for the faint of heart. It's full of sadness, murder, ecstasy, love, betrayal, and the promise of eternal loneliness.

I highly recommend reading the Vampire Chronicles, I haven't read all of them yet, but I loved the ones that I did read. I took a course based on Vampires and human psychology during my freshman year of college. It was part of the liberal studies program that students are required to take a course from. It was an awesome class, everything about it was fantastic. We read the second installment in the Vampire Chronicles, The Vampire Lestat. I had read Interview with the Vampire during spring break before that class began, so it was perfect. Something about depressed vampires telling the story of their life as both mortals and immortals is extremely engrossing. I think it's because some of us fear death and think it'd be better if we were able to live forever, without appearing physically older. After the class I took, I'm not so sure it'd be that wise of a choice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment