Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Day 3: 31 Days of Horror: Diabolique


Well, I've been too busy to watch horror movies the past couple of days. However, I've seen enough to dedicate a post to them. Diabolique (Les diaboliques) (1955) is a french horror film directed by Henri-Georges Clouzot. I'd classify it as a Hitchcock film that Hitch never directed. In fact, Hitch reportedly tried to buy the rights to the novel Celle qui n'était plus by Pierre Boileau and Thomas Narcejac, which the film is based off of, but Clouzot beat him to it by only a matter of hours. Boileau and Narcejac ended up writing D'Entre les morts solely for Hitch, which he in turn used for the basis of Vertigo (1958).


Diabolique is about a wife of an atrocious headmaster and his mistress who concert a plan to murder him. However, after the murder is committed, his body mysteriously disappears. Bizarre events follow the disappearance. Panic and confusion consume the wife, while the mistress tries to keep calm about the situation. Where did the body go to? What will happen?

This film is full of suspense! In fact, that's the best part of it. Expecting something to happen, and waiting for it, then something else happens, and you aren't sure what the outcome will be, but you're expecting something insane! I'm a suspense film addict. I crave it and I love it. To my fellow suspense film lovers, you're going to want to see this film as soon as possible.

2 comments:

Wendy P. said...

Hi Kalli!
You may be interested to know of a new novel that re-tells Vertigo from Judy's pov:
www.thetestamentofjudithbarton.com
I'd be happy to send you an e-copy for review:
just e-mail me at
wendy(at)thetestamentofjudithbarton(dot)com
Sincerely, Wendy

Kalli said...

Hi Wendy! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I would like to read it.

Post a Comment