Pages

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Day 31: 31 Days of Horror: The Exorcist


Happy Halloween! I can't believe it's here already. I'm ending the 31 Days of Horror with what I feel is the scariest film I've ever seen: The Exorcist (1973). I grew up Catholic and basically anything involving the Devil freaks me out, especially when it involves the Devil possessing someone! Although the film itself is adapted from the novel of the same name written by Warren Peter Blatty, it is actually based off a real exorcism case, one involving a young boy named Robby Mannheim.

In the film, however, the one being possessed is a young girl named Regan MacNeil (Linda Blair). She is living in Georgetown with her mother who is an actress. The first time we meet the girl, we see that she is a sweet and loving child who gets along very well with her mother. However, the girl's behavior suddenly and dramatically changes at a terrifying speed. She becomes vulgar and wicked. Frightened out of her mind, her mother isn't sure what to do at first. Then, after witnessing more troubling behavior from her child and how the doctors and psychologists seem to be making no impact on helping her, she decides to turn to priests for some help. Together, two priests come to exorcise the demon out of Regan.

This is truly psychological horror at its best. It's disturbing beyond belief and I always become completely entranced by it while watching it. I've met some people who actually found this film funny, which I'll never be able to understand. If you find this film funny, then you are not watching it with the right mindset. I don't find anything funny about someone being possessed. If you really want to be freaked out, watch the director's cut of this alone. It's terrifying and sick. It's the perfect horror film.

0 comments:

Post a Comment