Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Day 2: 31 Days of Horror: A Tale of Two Sisters



A Tale of Two Sisters (Janghwa, Hongryeon) (2003) is a Korean horror film directed by Ji-woon Kim based off the Korean folk tale "Janghwa Heungryeonjeon." The Uninvited (2009) is based off of this film, but it does not touch the original.

It's about two sisters, Su-mi and Su-yeon, who have been hospitalized for their mental health after the death of their mother. The two return home to live with their father and step-mother. Once home, the mental stability of the two is tested by both the actions of their overly obsessive and abusive step-mother and the appearance of a ghost. Will the two sustain their mental stability or will they slowly be driven insane and sent back to the sanitarium?

This film is very frightening! It is a psychological thriller to the extreme. I watched it by myself not knowing much about it at all and it really freaked me out! There were some very horrific scenes in it, so I recommend watching it with someone else, especially if you aren't a horror movie fanatic. The first appearance of the ghost had me about turning the film off and running out of the room, but my curiosity trumped the amount of fear I was experiencing, so I continued watching. I'm glad I was so curious because the film overall is brilliant. The cinematography is beautiful. I loved the house that they chose to film because it had the perfect mix of isolation and creepiness. Also, the storyline was twisted enough for me to highly enjoy it, even though it is sad. I don't want to say too much more about the film because I don't want to ruin the severity of the scariness of it!

(Not sure how good the English subtitles are).

0 comments:

Post a Comment