Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Tornado and the Far Side of the Moon


A few nights ago, while I was relaxing watching a film on Netflix around 1 something in the morning, I heard a strange noise. At first, I thought it was just part of the movie I was watching, which was Moon (2009). Moon, for those of you who have not heard of it, is a Sci-Fi Thriller about an astronaut who has been living and working on the far side of the moon. He has a three-year contract with a company known as Lunar Industries to mine Helium-3, which is the Earth's primary source of energy.

Anyway, back to that strange noise I heard! While watching the movie, the noise I heard made sense because there were a lot of strange sounds in the Moon spaceship, so I accepted it at first. However, I became aware that the noise was emitting at different sound frequencies, which didn't make sense. Then, it hit me, the tornado sirens were going off!!!

I jumped out of my bed and started shouting to my parents to get downstairs into the basement, but they were both in a deep sleep and didn't hear me. I kept yelling and yelling for a while, but they still didn't hear me! Thinking that they must be going deaf, I knocked on their door and still shouted about the tornado siren, which proved to be a successful way of waking them. Both flew up into the air, along with the dog, and my mom ran to look out the window first. She somehow poked her eyeball in the process, which scratched it up and bruised it a little.

My mom, my dog, my cat, and I went downstairs into the basement. My dad is stubborn and wouldn't believe that the tornado siren was going off, so he stayed upstairs and refused to come down to the basement. It was quite a storm. The lightening was so intense that it looked like a spastic strobe light was going off in the sky. While we were sitting there, the cat and I heard what sounded like a tiny waterfall flowing into the house. I pointed this out to my mom, who couldn't hear it and told me it was probably outside, however, she was wrong and water was spreading everywhere. My dad was yelling from upstairs that the tornado had passed us and we could come back upstairs. We then shouted to my dad to come downstairs because the basement was flooding.


Something about the tornado weather and storms in general always makes me want to watch The Wizard of Oz. I think that I will finally watch it tonight, it has been a while.  Also, the mention of the far side of the moon always makes me think of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" record, which when started at a certain point synchs with the plot of The Wizard of Oz. One of my teachers back in high school made us watch the movie like this for an hour.

0 comments:

Post a Comment