Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

The Invisible Man: Another Horror Classic


I didn't find The Invisible Man (1933) extremely frightening, but the concept of it is, which is what made it intriguing to me. A man finds a way to go invisible through science and because of his discovery, he becomes utterly insane. What's interesting is that the man is able to wear clothing, so at first you are not aware that he is invisible. Of course, something about his appearance tells you that something about him isn't quite right. However, you learn why he seems so different once he gets angry. He'll shed his clothing and you won't see him at all and there's no knowing what he will do! He's able to throw things, as well as viciously attack you until he succeeds in murdering you.

Claude Rains is spectacular as Griffin, the Invisible Man. I love his voice! He has the perfect amount of craziness in it to make the character sound brilliantly freaky and insane, especially when he cackles. I also enjoyed the effects in this film. There is a scene where they make him look like he's actually invisible. Apparently, the director achieved this by having Rains dress all in black velvet and stand in front of a black velvet background. Rains wasn't always the man under the bandages, he had a double, and it was obvious when the double was there instead of Rains. Mainly because the double is taller than Rains and he had different features than him, particularly his nose.

I want to read the book that this is based on, but I'll have to wait on that. I still want to read The Prestige, but I refuse to pay $16 for it, especially when all the copies I've found of it have shelf-wear. Something about The Prestige reminds me of The Invisible Man. I think it's the fact that the characters in both became so obsessed with finding the best way to do something, that it drove them insane until the point where they lost everything else in their lives.

2 comments:

Dempsey Sanders said...

Your right about the comparison with The Prestige, I really enjoyed The Invisable Man but havn't seen it in ages, good post.

Kalli said...

Thanks! The more I think about it, the more I love that movie. I may have to add it to my collection.

Post a Comment