Pages

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

31 Days of Horror: Day 3: Jumanji (1995)


Jumanji, successfully scaring little kids and adults since its release. I have some friends who still will not watch this movie due to the nightmares it gave them. I've been a fan of Jumanji since I watched it in the theater for the first time in 1995. It scared me, but like Are You Afraid of the Dark? and Goosebumps, I loved it!



The scariest scene in the movie is when young Alan gets sucked into the game and is forced to live in the jungle. The look of terror on his face and his friend Sarah's face is enough to make this freaky. However, they go even further with the scare factor by adding shrilling screams and bats. I've seen some bats in the house before and one bat is scary enough, believe me.

Bats like to make little squeaky sounds when they fly around, they also like to find a place where they can sleep hanging upside down. There was a bat that flew into my bathroom while my family and I were all sleeping. It was hanging upside down on the shower bar. I told my family that I had heard a bat, but they didn't believe me. My brother got the surprise of his life when he walked into the shower that day. He ran out of there as fast as he could, screaming. I was rolling on the ground laughing at him. I did warn him that I heard a bat in the house. No one ever seems to believe little kids when they claim something that you're not expecting to happen. Kids and their overactive imaginations!






Another part that still freaks me out is when the tsunami hits inside of the house. There is an animatronic alligator that shows up in the water. Animatronic monsters scare me! Can you imagine if one broke? I can imagine it happening, for example, the Jaws ride at Universal Studios has animatronic sharks in the water. Let's say one of them breaks, its wires go haywire, and it can't stop chomping its teeth! Same thing could happen to that animatronic alligator! That's really scary! Get away animatronics!

Jumanji is awesome. To get the full experience of the horror, I recommend watching this with a kid or someone who grew up in the 90's. I can assure you, there are those who grew up in the 90's that are still terrified of this movie. Better yet, have the Jumanji game in your house and let it be visible while you're watching the movie.


3 comments:

monty said...

I love this film! Nuff said!

Katy said...

Jumanji is a great movie! I haven't seen it in years. I remember when it came out and there was a board game. I think we owned it at one point but we were disappointed it didn't do the same things as from the movie!

Kalli said...

Haha yeah, Monty!

Hi Katy! I used to have that board game, too. I was super disappointed when it didn't do the scary things it did in the film. Boo, Jumanji board game.

Post a Comment