Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

The Prestige


Are you watching closely?

I've been watching a lot of Christopher Nolan films. A couple of nights ago, I finished watching The Prestige (2006). I really enjoyed this film. It's based off of the novel written by Christopher Priest, which I've been wanting to read. I've just finished up with a Raymond Chandler novel the other night, so I might end up getting The Prestige when I go to the bookstore again.

The Prestige is about two magic apprentices, Rupert Angier (Hugh Jackman) and Alfred Borden (Christian Bale), turned rivaling magicians. A tragic event induces their rivalry and eventually takes toll on both of their lives. The two become obsessed with outdoing one another. Jealously consumes them and nothing else seems to matter, besides hurting each other, which eventually affects and jeopardizes the lives of others around them.

The plot is much more complex than what I've described, but I gave you a little taste of it. The storytelling is compelling, the acting is superb, and the film has spectacular cinematography. Also, it's loaded with suspense, which is always a plus in my eyes. If you haven't seen it yet, then you must see it soon!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The Prestige is one of my all-time favorite films. I'm a big fan of Nolan's movies, even Following, his first movie with a budget of $ 6,000 is good.
So have you started reading the book yet? I wanna know if it's worth reading.

Kalli said...

I'm going to soon. Still haven't been to the bookstore. I'll let you know once I start reading it. I've heard good things about it though!

Matthew Coniam said...

I really liked this too. Reminded me of David Lynch before he went mad. Very clever, and obviously Scarlett is a honey...

Kalli said...

Have you read the book, I've been meaning to get it, but the copy in the bookstore was beat up and I refused to pay $15.99 for it. Call me cheap, but I like a nice looking book if I'm paying that much for it.

haha you sound like Tony Curtis calling someone a honey.

Post a Comment