Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Most Dangerous Game (1932)


I'm always in the mood for a film that's going to scare me. The Most Dangerous Game didn't scare me, exactly. However, I think that if I had watched this in 1932, then it probably would have succeeded in scaring me.

The Most Dangerous Game is based on a short-story of the same title written by Richard Connell. It is about a deranged man who is obsessed with hunting. He loves the game of the hunt and gets a huge thrill out of being faced against a challenge. In order to face another big challenge, he decides to arrange for an attack on a ship near an island that he lives on. By doing this, he hopes that some of the shipwrecked passengers will swim up and wander around the island. That way, he'll be able to indulge in some human hunting...

What a weird movie this is! I'll admit it, I knew basically nothing about this film when I started watching it. At first, I was thinking it was a war film. I guess I was kind of right, but not entirely. I like how they would light the villain's face. They'd light it so that at some points, the man looked like the devil. The lighting extenuated his eyebrows to make them look even pointier and his eyes to look even more menacing! I liked the film, it's short, it's strange, it's worth watching.

2 comments:

Millie said...

#1 reason to watch this: JOEL MCCREA.

hahaha.

But, seriously, it is an awesomely odd little film.

Great post!

Kalli said...

haha Thanks, Millie!

Post a Comment