Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

This Sporting Life (1963)


Richard Harris was a fantastic actor! I'll admit it, I didn't know anything about him until I saw the first Harry Potter film back in 2001. He was the perfect Dumbledore! Richard Harris was awesome even before he was Dumbledore and I have proof! You must see him in This Sporting Life.


This Sporting Life is a film about a coal miner who becomes a successful professional rugby player. However, this success doesn't do much to improve his social standing in the society that he lives in. He tries to deal with the constant battles in his life the best that he can, but becomes severely depressed and violent when his attempts to seduce his widowed landlady are shot down.

I recommend watching this film due to the fantastic acting that is displayed in it. The performances from both Harris and Rachel Roberts are so powerful that I'm surprised that they both didn't win the Academy Award for Best Actor and Best Actress in 1964. The film is gritty and depressing, so I wouldn't recommend watching it if you're having a rough day. However, if you're in the mood for something dramatic that will make you think a bit, then be sure to watch this film!

0 comments:

Post a Comment