Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Red Balloon


I seriously love Netflix because it allows me to watch a vast amount of films that I wouldn't otherwise get around to. Today, after having an exhaustingly busy week, followed by an overly eventful, but surprisingly fun weekend, I was able to relax and watch some wonderful films.

The Red Balloon (Le Ballon Rouge 1956) is fantastic and my favorite watch of the day. It's about a little boy who finds a red balloon during his walk to school one morning. The red balloon becomes his faithful companion, much like a pet, and together the two wander the streets of Paris. Their friendship grows as they spend more days together, to the point where they become inseparable.

The story of The Red Balloon is heartwarming, imaginative, and brilliantly told. It's incredible how emotionally powerful this film is, especially since it is only 34 minutes long and there is basically no dialogue, it's almost magical. I highly recommend seeing this film and it might be wise to watch it with kleenexes next to you. I'll admit it, this film got to me, especially the ending. This film made me feel nostalgic, inspired, and happy. It is beautiful.

2 comments:

Tom said...

Yeah, this is a good one. One of my favorites.

Dempsey Sanders said...

embarrasing for me maybe but have not heard of it until now, sounds like a must though, great post

Post a Comment