Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Stars and Insuring Body Parts: Really?

Well, I have just returned from a long day filled with work and classes. In my Finance course, we discussed credit default swaps and how they are similar to insurance policies. The mention of insurance got me to thinking about how stars have insured their body parts. I'm wondering if some of them did it for a publicity stunt:

1. In the 1920s, Ben Turpin the comedian insured his crossed eyes for about $25,000. Really? He couldn't have done an act as well without his crossed eyes? I guess they were his trademark, but still.



2. Fred Astaire insured his legs for $150,000. This is one that I can understand, since he was a dancer!




3. Bette Davis insured her waistline for $28,000. What?! How was this even allowed?



4. Cyd Charisse had her legs insured for $1 million. Again, I understand this since she was a dancer. Also, she had fantastic legs! Who wouldn't insure them if they looked like that?!



5. The Beatles got their fingers insured for £200,000 during the 1960s. I understand this one, too. How would they have made their awesome music without their fingers? I love the Beatles. Listen to them every single day.


There are many more other celebrities that have insured their body parts, some have insured more than one. Although, it does seem that legs are the most frequently insured body part. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment