Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Weary Wednesday: Suspiria


I'm currently sick with a horrible cough and I have a fever, so how do I make myself feel better? I watch a horror movie of course! Suspiria (1977) is about an American ballet dancer, Suzy Bannion, who is moving into a prestigious dance academy in Europe. Once she arrives to the academy, she witnesses a girl yelling in the doorway and then fleeing away from it. The film follows the fleeing girl and we witness her brutal murder. Meanwhile, Suzy is trying to adjust to life at the academy. However, after she falls sick, hears strange noises, and witnesses a series of bizarre events, she begins to realize that something is quite right about the academy or the people who run it.


Suspiria is an all right horror movie. I liked Suspiria, but I didn't love it. It was an extremely bizarre film. The story was intriguing at first, dragged on a bit in the middle, then got interesting again towards the end. It reminded me a bit of the plot in Rosemary's Baby (1968), but it wasn't as good. I was not impressed by the acting and I found it to be comical during scenes that were definitely not meant to be funny.

The best parts of the film are the score and the set. The score is haunting and fits the film perfectly. Also, I loved the set that was used in the film. The colors used were vibrant and looked amazing, especially when illuminated by different lights. I read some trivia regarding the film and it mentioned that the director Dario Argento had cinematographer Luciano Tovoli watch Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) in order to model its color scheme in Suspiria. I recommend watching this film in order to see an amazing use of color in film and to see a few extremely creepy scenes coupled with a wacky score.

0 comments:

Post a Comment