Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Day 14: 31 Days of Horror: Wizard of Oz (1939)

The Shining with Tin Man

I am a bit behind on my 31 Days of Horror and I apologize for that. I've been extremely busy, traveling to and from different states, attending my first college football game (MSU vs. U of M), meeting up with a close friend that I haven't seen in a year, and preparing for my first day at a new job. Busy, but with a bunch of great things!

The Wizard of Oz is one of my favorite movies of all time. I've loved it since I was a little kid. It seems that I tend to associate horror movies with my childhood, but that's because I was scared by a bunch of movies back then! It takes a lot more to scare me now, but I appreciate the old scares too!

Four things freaked me out in the Wizard of Oz: (1) the Wizard, (2) the flying monkeys, (3) the evil apple trees, and (4) the witch! These didn't scare me to the point where I ever refused to watch the movie. In fact, I think I enjoyed being scared because I watched this movie practically every day when I was a kid. The Wizard freaked me out when he talked through the projection thing on the wall because he was super loud! All that fire, smoke and other loud sounds scared me too!


The flying monkeys freaked me out because they were monkeys that could fly...  That's just not right! Monkeys should not have the ability to fly! The monkeys look very strange and evil, even if you were to remove the wings! They have blue fur and freakish faces. It actually still frightens me to watch the part where the flying monkeys come and beat up the Scarecrow and take off with Dorothy and poor Toto. Leave sweet little Toto alone, you bullying flying monkeys!

I hate the apple trees that Dorothy and Scarecrow stumble upon during their walk on the yellow brick road. Apple trees should not have the ability to talk! They definitely shouldn't have the ability to attack, either!

The Wicked Witch of the West is severely deranged. Her constant messed up attitude towards everything is ridiculous. I could kind of understand why she disliked Dorothy, I mean with Dorothy's house accidently landing on and murdering her sister and then Dorothy ends up getting her sister's shoes, that must have been upsetting to witness. It's not like Dorothy did any of this intentionally though! Oh well, what more can you expect from a wicked witch other than insanity and wickedness?

0 comments:

Post a Comment