Pages

Saturday, December 25, 2010

25 Days of Holiday Classics: Days 19-25

Merry Christmas everyone! For the end of 25 Days of Holiday Classics, I'm only going to talk about a few more. One is a new favorite of mine and the other two are films that I watch more than once throughout December, if I have time. I actually watch some of the other classics I've mentioned more than once throughout the holiday season, but they aren't my favorite favorite ones. They're only my favorite ones. Yes, I actually categorize things like this in my head.


First one up is my new favorite, Meet Me in St. Louis (1944). This is one of my favorite musicals, as well. It's definitely one of Judy Garland's best performances. She plays Ester Smith, a seventeen year old girl who falls in love with the boy next door. I love the romance in this film! John Truett (Tom Drake) is the perfect boy next door. He's nice, shy, and handsome! The film focuses on love and it also shows how much life can change and develop within a short amount of time. Especially when the Smith family is told that they will be leaving their home in St. Louis for one in New York City. Of course, during the time period that this is depicting, 1904, it was an amazing opportunity for them. However, there is just something so charming about their home and St. Louis in general that'd it be awful to see them leave it. Also, if they do leave it, there's a chance that Ester and John won't be able to be together. Watch this film to find out what happens! For those of you who have Netflix, it's currently streaming on instant.


Next up on my list is A Christmas Story (1993). I've been a fan of this movie since I saw it when I was about 5 years old. The film is about an amazing Christmas that was experienced by an awkward 9 year old boy named Ralphie. The film focuses on Ralphie trying to convince his parents, teachers, and Santa Claus that the best gift in the world to receive is a Red Ryder BB gun. I love the dysfunctional family life that Ralphie has. It's awesome and it's perfect. The film is full of hilarious scenes and it really captures the excitement of Christmas and how it is experienced by a child.


Last, but certainly not least, is It's a Wonderful Life (1946). This film is about a man named George Bailey (James Stewart), who has always been selfless throughout his life. He does what he believes in morally right, rather than ignore situations, so that he is able to go do whatever it is he wants to do. However, after his Uncle Billy misplaces $8000 and the terrible Mr. Potter won't give it back, George starts to think that life would be better for everyone if he just hadn't been born. Luckily, he is given the chance to see and learn that that just isn't true because of Clarence the angel. I love George Bailey 'till the day I die, and like Mary, I'd totally whisper that into the ear that he can't hear on. This movie sends out a bunch of great life lessons, so I recommend watching it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment